Tuesday 7 February 2012

NEWBIE POST

HURRAY!!
Welcome to my inaugural blog post! Amazing isn't it?  Okay so it's pretty amazing to me!  I want to use this blog to chronicle my journey from couch potato to running a 20 k marathon in Alaska on June 23rd right before my 31st birthday.

Funny thing is, that while I was struggling to find anything that could help motivate this overweight mom to accomplish some personal and fitness goals, I came across a radio advert for Team in Training (TNT) which raises money for The Lukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada (can't go wrong exercising and fighting cancer at the same time right!). Here's their website: http://www.teamintraining.ca/.

Team In Training (TNT) offers hands-on training unlike any other program. According the the website, I should look forward to receiving more help than with other charities, gyms, online training programs or sports clubs combined ...  or so they claim ... and hopefully holds true! TNT has an established network of coaches, mentors and teammates which supports  you the entire way to the finish line. TNT sets your training regimen, they advise you on nutrition and injury prevention; they hold weekly team workouts to encourage everyone involved to stay on track. TNT trains for events all over Canada and the world and for me there was no doubt that Alaska was the race I wanted to conquer. Why run a half marathon and fight cancer in a generic city when you can run a half marathon, fight cancer and dodge bears, moose and Sarah Palin all in the same day! And maybe even see Russia ;).
So here's the deal, this blog is meant to be a candid portrait into the highs and lows of taking on such an enormous feat.  I intend to have it "run", PUN INTENDED! from today February 7th 2012 until just after race day, possibly continuing after that if a marathon just wasn't enough and I have to go for the FULL!

So why the heck am I doing this... besides kicking cancer's ass?

I'm married and recently had two children in less than two years (14 months apart!). While I love my family very much, like many people in my situation I have become overweight, unhealthy, and depressed and not doing much to take control and make the situation better.   My priorities have become "dealing" with 2 kids, a husband, a house, and a career but somewhere along the line I forgot to MAKE time for myself and keep my mind and body healthy and happy.  I'm hoping the Team in Trainig programme, in addition to raising funds for lukemia and lymphoma will also help motiviate me to get my mind and body a little closer to where I want them.

I am not expecting weight loss miracles from running this program but I do intdend to improve my general health, and improve my mood and disposition.  I am running this half marathon to have a project for myself, something I can say I did and accomplished through hard work and determination. Keeping this blog is extra motivation for me to be accountable for my training,  and not to dissapoint all of the generous, caring, warm, and very sexy  people (hint hint...) who choose to donate to my cause (lukemia, lymphoma and me not dying of a heart attack before i'm 32!).

Now for an ice cream break... wait no shut up stomach, time for another 40 minutes of hot sweaty lovin with my treadmill.... hear that Alaska... I'm comin'.... 

Don't forget you can do your part by donating to cure blood cancers and of course me and my pursuit.  Thanks for reading and I hope you'll join me on this journey from fat to 20k!!!

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fmy.e2rm.com%2FpersonalPage.aspx%3FregistrationID%3D1342411%26langPref%3Den-CA&h=KAQFJQ0Uo

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Liz. What you are doing and reading your blog helps to motivate me into continuing my running journey. Keep it up and looking forward to reading more and following you in such an amazing journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Liz go!!! I will need to wait until Dave gets home to talk with him about making a donation.

    I'm hoping reading your blog will inspire me to get in shape too. It's hard having two young kids in a short amount of time and not having time for yourself because of that. Way to go for making this decision to do something for YOU!

    ReplyDelete